Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Peace

AS I mentioned in my last post, I've been working my way through John. This morning as I read through Jesus' first encounters with those He loved after His resurrection a few things stood out to me.
Here the disciples are "hiding out" so to speak for fear of the Jews, even though just that morning Mary saw Jesus and told them that He had risen. They were still trapped in their fear probably wondering what to do with this astonishing news. And that is where Jesus comes to them, right where they are "stuck". And that is where Jesus comes to all of us, right where to where our fears and sorrows, regrets and whatever else have driven us into hiding.
And His first words to them in that fearful secluded place? "PEACE". Perhaps that was another way of just saying "Hello" in those days, I haven't read up on my Jewish history. But nonetheless, He knows just what they need to hear. And then after showing them His pierced Hands and Side, He gives them a new purpose and vision, "Just as the Father Has sent Me forth, so I am sending you." And He gives them the gift of His Spirit.
I love how Jesus appears in our lives in our darkest hours. He calms our fears with words of Peace. He sets us on a new course with vision and purpose. And He enables us to fulfill that purpose with His Holy Spirit. Thank You, Abba, for Your Amazing ways!

No comments: