Thursday, September 25, 2014

Intentional Living - Post Preschoolers

         Ten years ago after the arrival of my first son this season seemed so far off I couldn’t even   Now that I’ve sent my youngest off to K the quiet house screams at me, “This day has arrived!” The ObGyn tells you all about navigating postpartum, but I've yet to come across a manual on post-preschoolers.
imagine it.
 It has finally happened.
 So now what?          
           
            Prompted by Jean Flemming’s, Pursue the IntentionalLife, I ask myself a lot of soul searching questions.  Where should my contribution of these few hours go?  What will make me want to spring out of bed in the morning? What choices made today will help me live well (and end well) spiritually?
            This is a critical juncture.  I’m setting the pace and tone for the rest of my life.  My time apart from my kids is only going to increase as the months and years roll by.  Jean says, “Spring is the best time for planting if I want a good harvest in the fall.  Vision, values, character and disciplines developed in the springtime of life serve even into winter.  Whatever the age, it is not too soon to prepare for the rest of life.” (p.32).
            The years of parenting preschoolers has passed; it’s time to plant in new “fields” I couldn’t go to with little ones. Just like my children, I need to continue to grow and move on to the next thing….at least for a few hours…until my little treasures come back to my nest. Then it’s time to really make those hours with them count.
           

What about you? What life changes are you facing? I’d love to hear what has helped you successfully navigate a new role, season, etc.

No comments: