Saturday, September 18, 2010

Joy - Not Just my Dish Soap Anymore


You know when you hear the same message or scripture a few times in a row that God is trying to get your attention. That happened this past week...not so coincidentally aligning with several little challenges that have come our way. Most of these aren't big things but you know those weeks when all the many little things start to add up. Yet in the midst of it all I kept running into the message of the resurrection and our source for joy. I literally heard three different messages and read it in my regular daily reading all in a matter of days. God, graciously reminding me that despite the little and big hard things we face, I can choose joy. Why? Because I know how the story ends, the victory is already won. I admit some days it is a physical struggle to choose joy over focusing on the whiny teething toddler wrapped around my knees, the attention deprived middle child jumping on the couch AGAIN, and the oldest who can't understand why I won't let him go down the slide backwards at school with a broken arm. And knowing some of the enormous struggles others face these all seem tiny and I feel like a big whiner for even struggling. BUT God is gracious. And in all these little reminders I sense His love and care and am reminded of one of my favorite verses, Isa 40:11 He will tend his flock like a shepherd; he will gather the lambs in his arms; he will carry them in his bosom, and gently lead those that are with young." I'm feeling gently led to choose Joy and make it more than just my dish soap today and every day.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Funny, how that is! I was just thinking today about how many times I have recently heard about joy, how it comes from Him, how it is our strength, how we can choose to be joyful in all circumstances. An admonition from the Lord for many of us perhaps????