Wednesday, August 7, 2013

"Quiet" times with Kids

 Before becoming a mom I had no idea how precious sitting quietly could be!  I certainly under appreciated the fact that any time I wanted to I could open my Bible, journal and pray uninterrupted (i.e., have a "Quiet Time"). For the past nine years it seems my sons without fail wake up at the "crack of the Bible" (so the saying goes).  It. REALLY. IS. UNCANNY. 

Some exhausted years I've responded less than lovingly to their interruption of my morning routine. But with more experience... and sleep... I've mellowed a bit.  Now I can without mommy-guilt pop in a video for the unexpected, and by unexpected I mean totally expected (sorry I hear a LOT of Phineas and Ferb in the background of my days), and sit down in another room to enjoy my time with Jesus. 

The other morning as I settled into the couch with my coffee a little boy appeared.  Thing 2 (7yrs) is my snuggler and it isn't enough for him to be near me on the couch, he was practically on top of me. I almost shooed him away while trying not to spill my coffee as I scooted halfway off the couch.  Then I remembered an awesome post from a great friend I'd read recently about teaching others to have quiet times.  If I don't disciple my own kids I have no business spending time discipling others.

So Thing 2 and I flipped over to Psalm 1 and read it together using her method.  It wasn't the first time I'd had a quiet time with him but it had been a long while! Too long.  I encouraged him to draw a picture of what we talked about and broke it down to a few key words I hope he will remember.  Follow God's plans/guidelines for you = have a fulfilling life. 

Here is his page from my journal:


I'm certain I won't forget that lesson for awhile.  I hope he won't either. 



No comments: