Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A Gentle Slope

I recently studied how to have a gentle and quiet spirit with my freshman and sophomore friends on campus.  It was a chapter in a great Bible study by Cynthia Heald called, Becoming a Woman of Excellence.

Looking up the definition of "gentle" captured my attention, it means: a gradual slope.  When I think about mothering gentleness is something I desire to have but don't often execute very well.  This word picture  inspired me to think about how I want to lead them through the day and eventually toward maturity. To do this I need to make sure the slope is steep enough to get them to independence in 18 years, but gradual enough that they don't quit out of exaustion.  Or worse exasperation.

Some days my expectations are way too steep and I need to readjust the slope, i.e., only focusing on one character trait to improve or snipping out extra activities if we are too busy. Other days the slope isn't steep enough and they get away with way too much (misbehavior, coddling, etc) because I am too lazy or distracted to discipline like I know I should.  Mothering is figuring out just the right slope for each temperament and adjusting for life's factors (illness, fatigue, etc.).  The slope is always shifting but the end goal remains the same.

God's example of leadership in Isaiah 40:11 encourages my heart, "He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young."  I know that as I am leading my children if I follow His Lead, He will adjust the slope for me making it gradual enough for me to walk and reach the end of my day with my children, and my sanity, in tact.    

No comments: